FREE Access to ALL Published Papers
Proceedings papers accepted for presentation at EI—including JIST-first papers—are available for free download via the IS&T Digital Library.
Critical Dates and Information
Early Decision and JIST Submission Period: 1 March 2017 — 30 June 2017 (JIST submission closes 25 June 2017)
Authors of submissions received during the Early Decision Submission Period will be notified early, prior to conference session planning.
- Authors choosing the JIST-first submission option (details below) must complete their full manuscript submission to JIST during the Early Decision Submission period.
- Authors submitting to conferences with onsite proceedings are requested to submit their work during the Early Decision period. Refer to the conference pages for proceedings due dates.
- Authors who require a VISA to enter the United States should submit during this period.
Regular Submission Period: 1 July 2017 — 15 August 2017
Authors of submissions received during the Regular Submission Period will be notified as the conference programs are finalized.
Accepted works will be assigned to an oral presentation slot (typically 20 minutes) or to the Interactive (poster) Paper Presentation Session (presented during the 90-minute poster session).
NOTE: Interactive poster presenters may also be asked to give a short oral preview during a technical session depending on the conference.
All EI authors may also choose to participate in the Demonstration Session held on Tuesday evening. During the Demonstration Session, authors present "material" supplemental to their paper in an "exhibit hall" atmosphere. "Materials" presented may include hardware, software, physical items, integrated systems, etc.
Templates and Copyright Agreement Forms
Authors who wish to have their EI paper appear in and therefore be cited as a journal manuscript (vs. citation as a proceedings paper) may submit a complete, final manuscript-length paper (typically more than 12 pages) of original work directly to the Journal of Imaging Science and Technology (JIST) during the Early Decision Submission period, before 25 June 2017. Papers submitted using this option progress through the normal JIST peer-review process, with the additional requirement that, as the time to publication is shortened to accommodate the EI conference dates, the submissions must be publication-ready. Papers that require more than minor revisions are not accepted for publication in time for EI 2017. For more information: JIST-first Guidelines. Submit JIST-first paper. Note: Papers accepted for JIST-first are presented as oral papers at EI and published as reprints in the conference proceedings.
Proceedings Paper Option
Each EI conference has a its own requirements. If you don't know to which paper you wish to submit your paper, review the conference and special sessions options on the Conferences page. Click on your conference choice to find the required review format (listed on each conference page).
Use the template linked above for the required format, either a draft paper or an abstract. Convert your paper draft or abstract file to PDF for submission. Submit paper draft or abstract.
It is expected that authors will provide a signed IS&T standard copyright agreement with the final paper, which includes the possibility for a CC BY agreement.
Presentation-only submissions are typically by invitation or permission of the conference and are suitable for industry contributors restricted from submitting proceedings papers. Note that certain conferences do not accept presentation-only submissions. After checking the list of exclusions below, submit a presentation-only abstract.
Conferences that require a proceedings paper and therefore do not accept a presentation-only submission are:
Accepted Final Manuscripts Deadlines
For those using the JIST-first option, revised papers incorporating changes requested by the editor and the peer-review comments must be submitted by 27 Oct 2017.
Final manuscripts for conference proceedings, typically 4-6 pages in length, are due as determined by your conference, either:
The final manuscript due date is posted on each conference page. You will be notified of the required final manuscript due date in your acceptance letter.
- 20 November 2017 (Onsite proceedings), or
- 10 January 2018 (Post-conference proceedings)
- Submit your work for review in the format required by your chosen conference. Note that the JIST-first option uses the JIST format.
- If you are unsure which conference to choose, submit a 4–6 page proceedings draft paper and select "Put my paper where it fits best" in answer to the Conference question.
- If your work is accepted, you are obligated to register and present your work at EI as scheduled. Publication is conditional on your presentation.
- If you require a visa to travel to the US, choose the early decision submission and please request an invitation letter as soon as you are notified of acceptance.
- Prior to the conference, carefully construct and practice your presentation to faithfully represent your work to the conference attendees. Be prepared to answer questions. about the work.
- Authors accepted under the Journal-first option must register for the conference AND pay the JIST page charges at 50% of the current rate.
- Authors must obtain funding for registration fees, travel, and accommodations, independent of IS&T.
Authors submitting to EI agree to the following conditions:
- To submit their work for review using the required format by the deadline (listed at the top of this page); submission equals authorization for IS&T to circulate the submission to conference committee members for peer-review and/or selection purposes.
- Obtain funding for their registration fees, travel, and accommodations, independent of IS&T. Please note that request for visa application support should be made as soon as you receive acceptance of your paper.
- Register at the required registration rate by the early registration deadline. At least one full (non-student) registration is required with each accepted paper or presentation.
- Ensure that all clearances, including government and company clearance, have been obtained to present and publish the work. If you are a DoD contractor in the USA, allow at least 60 days for clearance.
- Sign the IS&T copyright form. Please note that accommodations are made for authors who need to sign creative commons copyright forms such as CC BY.
- To submit a full-length manuscript (typically 4-6 pages) for publication in the IS&T Digital Library by the Onsite (28 November 2017) or Post-conference (10 January 2018) deadline (proceedings date is given in each conference Call for Papers page and will be restated in your acceptance letter).
- To attend the meeting and give a high quality presentation as scheduled in the technical program.
- Commercial papers, papers with no new research/development content, and papers where supporting data or a technical description cannot be given for proprietary reasons will not be accepted for presentation in this conference.