Conference Overview and Call for Papers
The 8th International Symposium on Technologies for Digital Photo Fulfillment (TDPF 2017) will be held in coordination with Printing for Fabrication 2017, as in 2016. Collocation allows us to draw on the printing expertise found at Print4Fab and to create synergies with colleagues across the 2D and 3D printing landscape, from photographers to printing experts from the scientific and academic communities and leaders in the graphic arts. As a meeting within Print4Fab, TDPF attendees have the opportunity to attend the talks and exhibits offered via this unique collocation. Those who register for Print4Fab may attend any TDPF session. There also will be stand-alone registration for the TDPF Symposium.
The digital photographic ecosystem—image capture, processing/organizing images, and soft/hard copy output of these images—is the overall focus of TDPF, the ultimate goal of which is to allow people to tell their stories. As such, TDPF 2017 will have a special focus on photo books and how to make them. This includes photo organization and how to find your favorite photos, as well as online functions to aid in the photo book creation process, including web-and mobile-based apps. We invite those from the imaging industry and academia to discuss and share advances in this ecosystem.
In addition, TDPF 2017 will highlight preservation and interesting new print products. How to preserve family stories in a digital world (including the importance of print longevity/image permanence), how to share stories created from photos (i.e., cloud-based services), and how to display photos are all part of the discussion. Individual photo prints—from the new “credit card” and square formats through the traditional 4x6 to large format wall décor (whether paper, metal, face-mount acrylic, or other substrate)—are presented along with the growing variety of premium photo gifting products.
- Capture systems integration with storytelling and photo organization products
- Long-term preservation via redundant storage of digital files and hardcopy prints
- New products from wide-format printing, including metal prints, face-mount acrylic, and other large format display options
- Using photographs in low-volume press printing (e.g., personalized wall paper)
- Premium photo gift products of all kinds including images printed on high tech substrates
- Viewing and sharing systems utilizing cloud, social media, and web-based mechanisms
TDPF offers a unique opportunity for product engineers, researchers, photographers and lab/store owners to meet and discuss the advances, synergies, and future directions of creating, printing, sharing, displaying, and archiving consumer and professional photos and photo-related products.
TDPF PROGRAM TOPICS
Paper submissions in the following areas are encouraged:
- Photo Books, including assisted construction, automation, hybrid digital/hardcopy fulfillment
- Image organization including sorting and finding the best photos
- Photo integration with storytelling and photo organization products
- Photography in the digital world – tricks and techniques for great digital photos
- Digitization of film, movies, video, prints
- Image processing workflow and algorithms
- Online fulfillment, sharing, and storage (including online photofinishing, redundant storage)
- Online applications for photo book creation
- Mobile apps for prints, photo books, and image organizing
- New small format photo prints of various print technologies, including Wi-Fi enabled
- Topics in premium photo gifting
- Use of softcopy display for photo viewing, sharing,organizing and online fulfillment
- Retail fulfillment options: kiosks, minilabs, special materials that can accept images
- Home, office, retail, and commercial fulfillment systems—from snapshot to 3D printers
- Output equipment (wet and dry printers and minilabs, processors, kiosks, photo book retail production)
- Output media (inkjet, EP, thermal, silver halide, novelsubstrates)
- Long-term preservation of digital files and hardcopy prints
- Image Permanence
How to submit
Prospective authors are invited to submit abstracts of original papers for presentation in any of the listed technical areas. To ensure that the conference provides significant and timely information, all abstracts are reviewed by the program committee. Papers should be authoritative and complete in regard to advancing the state of knowledge in the subject matter. The conference language is English. Authors whose abstracts are accepted for presentation are expected to submit final full-paper manuscripts for inclusion in the Symposium e-Proceedings. “E-proceedings” may be cited and referenced the same as papers published in hard copy format and will be archived in IS&T’s Digital Library. Authors will be notified in early July 2017 as to acceptance. Direct submission inquiries to Jennifer O’Brien at 703/642-9090 or email@example.com.
Upon notice of acceptance, authors are sent detailed instruction for submitting the final 4-6 page paper for publication in the symposium e-proceedings. A “transfer of copyright” form must be completed prior to publication. Please note that each author is responsible for obtaining appropriate clearance as necessary for presentation and publication of the work. The deadline for accepted full papers is July 31, 2017.
Submissions for TDPF 2017 should be made via the Printing for Fabrication 2017 submission and review system. Choose the Category "3.0 Technologies for Digital Photo Fulfillment" under Step 2: Properties. Submissions to this category will be reviewed by the TDPF program committee.